Let civility reign!

Civility ~ Let us consider this, before we speak or act.

Friday, December 12, 2014

The Occassional Random Hodge-Podge... Don't worry, there are only 4. Lol.

Hodge-Podge #1

I must admit I have moments where I find myself being pulled to the computer to write.  At times it can be very annoying, because writing takes a good bit of time that I don't always have.  I love to write, don't get me wrong and if I could figure out a way to write for a living, well then, that would be a completely different story.  Nevertheless, my brain urges me to write and therefore, I must. 

So as of now, I am on my third day of decorating the inside of my house for Christmas.  I am reminded each year, that this task is getting too big.  Last year, I swear, I weeded out from my holiday stash and yet to my dismay and that of my husbands, we decided, I did not, weed out, enough! I pondered this for an hour or so, "Here is the problem," I said to my husband.  "Over the years we have collected things.  Obviously too many things.   Some of this stuff came through our families.  Of course I too bought some of this stuff and then there's the stuff the kids have made for us at school and in the end,... we have way too much Shtuff.  An annoyingly huge amount of holiday Shtuff!" And yet, up it goes.

Hodge-Podge #2
So my birthday is 8 days before Christmas.  A common question through the years has been, "Do you get a lot of presents or do you get the shaft?"  Lol.  The truth is, I think I did fine.  Possibly when I was a little older that question prompted me to be aware of the dilemma but I don't recall ever worrying or wondering about it. My guess is, my folks did a great job.  I do recall however receiving a, "Summer" birthday present one year.  That was kinda weird.  Do you remember the days of the, "Banana Seat Bike?"  It's highly possible, that I may have mentioned to my dad only a couple hundred times, how much I'd like one of those bikes.  So one afternoon in the middle of summer, I was interrupted by my dad yelling at me to get to the back door, NOW!  Oh did he ever sound mad.  He sounded like he was really going to chew me out and more than likely he had a good reason because after all,  I may have been a little version of Dennis the Menace. I dragged myself to the back door certain of impending doom.  I took one step out the back door and there to the left, was the most beautiful banana seat bike I had ever seen.  I'm not kidding, I never did see one I liked more.  He had pulled a joke on me, and as I realized I wasn't in trouble after all, my dad released this slow steady smile, and of course I buried my head into his belly and hugged him to death.  Now that was, one good, Christmas time birthday. 

Hodge-Podge #3
So have you heard about these people called, "Lay-away Angels"? I heard about them on the news this morning.  The new, "Pay It Forward" craze.  I have to admit, it's genius.  It's a great idea.  One I wish I could take all the credit for, just like those signs that say, "Keep calm and ....." Everywhere!  Those signs truly are everywhere!  Why didn't I think of that little phrase that has officially swept the globe. I see them everywhere I go and in the end, yes... I too bought one of those little signs and it hangs perfectly above the doorway in my kitchen where I can read it daily.  You want to know which one I bought don't you?  Haha.  Well, I bought the one that reads, "Keep Calm and Carry On" probably the original and the most uneventful one out there, especially since only yesterday I saw one that read, "Keep Calm and Wear an Ugly Christmas Sweater."  Hmmm....? Anyway, these Lay-away Angels, go in and pay a portion or all of some one's layaway bill.  Namely, lay aways that have lots of toys on hold.  I think this is an amazing gift to someone, weather they needed the help or not, it is a definite form of good will.  Have you tried the, "Pay it Forward" mentality yet?  My kids and I have.  We do the, "Fast-Food, Drive Through," pay it forward.  Yep, we pick up the people in the car behind us' bill.  It is very fun.  My kids find it to be one of the most exciting things we do.  They love trying to get a glimpse of the person at the window being told, their bill has already been paid by the car in front of them.  My kids talk about what that person may have thought or may have said, etc. etc.  Such fun can be had in such a small gesture of kindness.  If you haven't tried it, this will shock your kids to no end.  The first time they will be confused, excited, surprised by your generosity and decision to do such a thing. And yes, possibly ask you if you are losing it? Going nuts?....stuff like that.  Haha.

Hodge-Podge #4
Oh, okay... here is the next non-essential piece of info.  I also over heard on the news today as I was decorating,... that a woman wrote on her blog, that she raises her children using an, "Elephant approach."  Unlike many who she described as using the, "Tiger approach."  I listened to the discussion lending only half an ear, then one whole ear, then both ears.  Interesting.  The question? Which method is best?  The elephant is tender, kind, and caring and does many, many tasks to make the child's life easier.  The tiger is loving but less tender, more of a, "Here is how you do it, now do it!"  Maybe a little more of a, "tough love" approach.  I remember when my little girl was little and she would fall, I would gasp.  I was the over reactive mom who couldn't imagine my baby getting a boo boo without me.  I'd run to her, pick her up and tenderly cuddle her with the whole, cooing and kissing the boo-boo ...thing.  While I would watch as some parents would react completely differently than me.  Their child would take a fall and they, the parent's, would raise their hands up above their heads and cheer.  This seemed strange and yet, no tears flowed.  In fact, usually the little one put his or her hands up and cheered too, as though this was truly worth celebrating.  I did not judge.  In fact, I kept this little bit of information tucked under my hat and do you know, on occasion, when I had no time to do the whole, "cuddle, console, kiss, coddle and coo" I would do the hands above my head cheer and to my amazement, it worked.  Every time! Amazing!  So which is better?  The decision, and I'm sure this is politically correct, or socially correct, or whatever... the answer is not to scorn either choice but to, embrace them both and blend...blend...blend. Haha.  I would have to agree.  Be tough, love em, scold em, teach em, console em, all through the years.  What's the worst thing that might happen?  Oh,...well, I'm sure when I'm an old lady, stumbling around with my cane, if I fall....I can expect one of two reactions.  You know what they are.  Haha.

Okay,....yes.....!

Back to decorating I go.   
Pictures to come. Lol
S.



No comments:

Post a Comment