Let civility reign!

Civility ~ Let us consider this, before we speak or act.

Friday, June 3, 2016

Let's talk about the fishing trip on January first....it's only 6 short months away.

So it's late.  I should probably be in bed since I'm exhausted.  Life is busy.  Too busy.  My husband is off and gone on his annual fishing trip.  It's funny because I tease him about this fishing trip often.  There are a lot of things to tease him about when it comes to this trip.  Let me fill you in. Oh but first, I should tell you, I love to fish too.  I do.  I know you don't believe it but my dad had me fishing as soon as I was old enough to hold a fishing pole.  I still have it.  It's white, it's old and it is still hanging on the wall in the back closet at our family cottage.

Yep, I love to fish.  It kind of shocked my husband when I told him this.  The first time he took me fishing I put my worm on the hook, got out my red and white bobber, hooked that on my line, cast like a pro, possibly further than he did, and waited.  He looked at me like he'd just seen a fish pop straight up out of the water, wave and dive back in again, he was in a trance, he just stared at me.  Knowing me, I probably waved at him with my cute little grin, gave him a wink and told him to toss me a beer from the cooler.  Here I was, his girl, fishing like a pro.  My dad taught me well I'd say. Yep, I love to fish and my patience is on the brink of annoying.  I'm definitely the last to say, "Let's pull in our lines and go home."  I just wait and wait.  Anyway, back to my husband's fishing trip.  He heads out on this trip each year around this time.  Sometimes a large group congregates for the event, other times it's a small one, either way I get stuck shooting the group shot.  Discussions of this trip begin in January which I would say is odd but men have to have something to talk about and once deer season comes to a close, the obvious choice for a fisherman, is to start talking about fish.

The dreams begin, he hums the song in his sleep, "Oh Canada! Our home and native land......"
Yes, he's off to Canada, about 10 or 11 hours north of where we live and I must say, we live up in the middle of nowhere in Michigan so where he is I suppose is considered, "Off and gone." 

What I don't understand, is why guys put themselves through living $#@$ all in the name of a walleye, or a pike.  The stories I hear involve snow storms, rain, hail, lightening, sun burns, wind burns, cold temperatures, hot temperatures, bugs, bugs and more bugs all in a 48 hour period.  But even with all of that, the excitement about the upcoming fishing trip, is constantly being discussed by he and his friends, his brother, his dad, ... I have to think to myself on January 1st, "Honestly, it's six months away, can't you discuss it later?"  I guess not.

You know, I have passions, hobbies, but nothing like these fools. This is beyond anything I've ever experienced.  One time as we sat together, sharing in conversation, my husband mentioned how much he'd love to show me this special fishing place in Canada and how pretty it is.  I asked him if he thought I enjoyed sleeping.  Having been married for probably 13 years when this discussion took place I asked him, "Do you think I enjoy sleeping?"  He looked at me with an expression that clearly said, "What kind of stupid question is that?"
He shook his head and said, "Like no one I've ever met before in my life. Yes, you love your sleep."  I said, "Why would I want to go up to Canada, wake up at 5:00 a.m. so I can fish until 10:00 p.m. just because you say fishing is awesome and there's daylight.  Is that all you can think about?  Is there nothing more important than fish?! Oh yes, I know the schedule they keep.  They go, go, go! From just before the sun is up to just after sun goes down, they fish! If they come in any sooner they will be harassed for days after.

And the final kicker,... I would not want to be in a room with a bunch of sleep deprived, slightly over weight men who are exhausted.  Why?  Because I've heard my husband snore when he's well rested and it is loud.  Sleep deprivation will rattle a room and I don't mind when my husband is lying beside me snoring but staying with an entire group of room rattlers, well that's not my idea of fun night.

So here I sit.  My kids are sound asleep, I'm munching on Tostitos loaded with Jacks Special gourmet salsa.  I'm a smidge lonely for my main squeeze, because after all, my room is way too quiet.  Only 4 days to go, so I suppose I'll make the best of it.  I do love the quiet time with my kids. Have a good night, good week, good month, oh and if you're a fisherman, a good fishing season.
S.    

5 comments:

  1. Memories of childhood fishing are so fun aren't they. Thank you for sharing. It's nice that you read and reply. You've taken the place of my dad which I think he would like. He always commented. Thank you for that. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ted, can you send me your home email so we can talk but not through my blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not find an email address anywhere for you. After a week of head scratching, I now have an email address that I feel comfortable posting. Michigan Traveler1 at com cast .net Close all spaces and replace at with @.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This way will take you past the Zoopark, complete with ostrich and chickens. Joseph Fabiano

    ReplyDelete